target (<local symbol>) of a R_PPC_SDAREL16 relocation is in the wrong section (.data)

That's the message I am getting from gnu ld. Browsing the archives and
looking at my link script (the .sdata section of input files were being
folded into .data section of output files), I removed all the lines having
to do with sdata out of the .data block and put them into a .sdata block
that immediatly follows.
This however made no difference and gld still gives me tons of errors as
above. Any idea what's happening here? My understanding was that, bfd 2.11
doesn't allow .sdata and .sbss sections to be put into any other sections
but .sdata and .sbss in the output files but now I am not so sure I
understand what's happening.

Thanks,
 Bob