Re: Build Binutil problem

Hi Simon,

> I am trying to build the binutil-2.11.2 on my desktop (Win2000)
> following the procedure described in
> http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/tools/win-powerpc-eabi.html "Building the
> PowerPC Development tools for Windows". When I execute the command:
>
> 	/src/binutils/binutils-2.11.2/configure --target=powerpc-eabi \
> 		--prefix=/tools --exec-prefix=/tools/H-i686-pc-cygwin \
> 		-v 2>&1 | tee configure.out
>
> I got the error as follow:
>
> 	Configuring for a i686-pc-cygwin host.
> 	Created "Makefile" in /tmp/build/binutils using "mh-frag"
> 	gcc: installation problem, cannot exec 'as': No such file or directory
> 	*** The command 'gcc -o conftest -O2	conftest.c' failed.
> 	*** You must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler.
>
> Any idea? How could I verify the installation is good?

It sounds as though either gcc was not installed correctly when you
installed Cygwin, or else your execution path is not set up
correctly.  Are you able to compile a simple hello world type program?
If not then I would suggest that you check over your Cygwin
installation and possibly reinstall it.

If you can compile it then maybe there is some difference between the
BASh shell where you ran the compilation and the BASH shell where the
configure is being run.  I am not sure what this might be, but it is
something that you could investigate.

  [You could also try asking this question on the ecos-discuss mailing
  list @sources.redhat.com]