Re: binutil-2.11.2 and ia64

Hi Mike,

> 	How can I get the new binutil assembler to work with ia64.  I
> compiled and installed binutil-2.11.2 from source

Did you have any problems with the build or installation ?

> and attempted to do a test compile  and received the following on a
> simple program from a configure script.
> I was attempting to get the new binutil to compile gcc-3 but I can't
> seem to get the new binutil to work properly.  Any help would be
> appreicate.
>
> gcc -g -c conftest.c
> /tmp/ccaUPMtC.s: Assembler messages:
> /tmp/ccaUPMtC.s:17: Error: file number less than one
> /tmp/ccaUPMtC.s:18: Error: file number less than one

Can you provide us with the command line that is being used to invoke
gas and a copy of the file it is trying to assemble ?
(ie please run 'gcc -g -c -v --save-temps conftest.c')

You may find that downloading a snapshot of the latest binutils
development sources will allow you to build an assembler that will
work with gcc.  Snapshots are available from:

  ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/binutils/snapshots