[old topic] Re: Bug in netbsd wastes space for all ELF platforms?

Jumping back to a conversation from eons ago:

    http://sources.redhat.com/ml/binutils/2001-09/msg00347.html

I somehow managed to miss a good chunk of this conversation when it
happened.  However, to add my $0.02US:

	* The assumption of the location of _DYNAMIC relative to
	  _GLOBAL_OFFSET_TABLE_ only existed in the Alpha-specific
	  code of NetBSD's ld.elf_so.

	* FreeBSD's Alpha-specific code in their ELF rtld also makes
	  this assumption.

	* OpenBSD's Alpha-specific code in their ELF rtld also makes
	  this assumption.

...and, last but not least, I fixed the code in question in the
NetBSD ld.elf_so to use a _GOT_END_ symbol (provided by a new
linker script used only to build ld.elf_so) rather than assuming
that _DYNAMIC directly follows _GLOBAL_OFFSET_TABLE_.