alignment frags

At some point some extra frags were added to GAS processing, such that
a section change will result in an "alignment" frag being added to the
previous segment.  Unfortunately, this results in a section that would
normally be a few bytes long to be filled to the alignment boundary.
(specifically, the section change invokes subseg_finish, which does
align_frag, which adds the extra (empty) frag).

My testsuite picked this up, though I haven't been looking at builds for
a while, so I'm not sure exactly when it crept in.

Is this absolutely necessary?  What is the rationale?  Why is the empty
frag resulting in a fill?