Re: PATCH: Fix the MIPS ISA ELF setting (Re: RedHat 7.1/mips update)

On Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 03:46:34PM -0800, Eric M. Christopher wrote:

> > 1. The command line is not compatible with the previous version. That is
> > "-m4100 -mips2" is not allowed any more.
>
> Ok. This is me trying to keep the gcc and binutils options close
> together. I'm moving the mips compiler to the more standard
> -march/-mtune and deprecating everything else. This should make it
> easier for the kernel folks since they'll only have to worry about one
> way of doing things.

Just to clarify, I am talking about gas, not gcc. There is no need to pass
-m4100 to gcc.

> > 2. It won't generate a working kernel no matter what you do.
> >

> This is because of the 64-bit v. 32-bit problem? Have you tried
> compiling with -march=vr4100 and -mgp32? That _may_ work, anyhow...

Are you talking about gcc or gas? If it is gas, Jim, can you try it out?
But what if the loader won't accept mips3 binaries or it will do `bad'
things when seeing mips3 binaries?

> > I don't believe the binutils should break the existing Linux kernel
> > source. Chris's solution is ok by itself. But I don't think it is the
> > right solution for Linux.
>
> What is the right solution? I feel that allowing code like:
>
> .set arch foo
> <insns>
> .set arch 0
>
> Along with the possibility of compiling/assembling for 32/64 bit mode
> via -mgp32/gp64 is sufficient.

Any solution should take into acount of existing kernel source and previous
binutils which have been working fine until now. If you change kernel, now
you force everyone to use the new binutils. The problem is the current gas
won't allow "-m4100 -mips2" anymore. Why not fix that?

H.J.