Re: Linking images at one address, but loading them at another.

>  ELF specs generally assume a SYSV environment.  That's typically
> fulfilled when running userland under an OS, but a kernel image is not
> usually loaded within a SYSV environment.  It might even not be
> dynamically linked. ;-)  Thus the binary is not SYSV-compliant anyway.

Well I know that :-)

>  In short: use p_vaddr in a loader if it operates on virtual addresses as
> seen by the program and p_paddr if it operates on physical addresses.  If
> a loader operates on virtual addresses different from the ones seen by the
> program, you should probably use p_paddr anyway.

That doesn't help me much.  The loader (which is built into the ARM AXD
debugger) uses only p_vaddr, so I need to make my image use that.

The issue is, why is ld preventing me from doing what I need to do?
Putting seeks to negative output-file offsets sounds like a linker bug to
me.

R.