Re: PATCH: Compatibility with "am"/"ams"

On Sun, Sep 30, 2001 at 03:58:15PM -0700, H . J . Lu wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 30, 2001 at 03:37:57PM -0400, Jakub Jelinek wrote:
> > Alan did not want that in, that's why I use it in Red Hat binutils as a
> > patch. If you could include this in your binutils too (at least for some
> > time), it would be great though.

I'm not vehemently against the compatibility option.  I was under the
impression that people likely to be using the string merging capability
would be using bleeding edge compilers, and so the need for a
compatibility option was minimal.  If you and Jakub think it necessary,
(even if only to make your life easier) then it's probably reason enough
to commit the patch to sourceware.

Hmm, if would be nice if we could do

#if date_expression > expiry_date
#warn Remove compatibility code now!
#endif

Having a date string available would make for better bug reports too.  I'm
willing to make the changes to implement this in bfd, but don't have a
shell login on sourceware to set up a cron job to automatically update
things.  Would somebody with a login volunteer to do this?  I imagine
the gcc setup could easily be adapted.

Alan