Re: archives with foreign object files

On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, Alan Modra wrote:
> The idea of this patch is to fix a problem with `ar' when trying to
> operate on an archive containing object files of a different format
> to the archive itself.

Last time I stumbled upon different-object-formats-in-an-ar, ld
SEGV:d when having it as input.  This with a mix of a.out and
ELF; I don't remember what format the output was, and
unfortunately I never took the time to report it. :-(

So, does your mix of object formats in an archive work with the
linker, or is this just for standalone "ar" usage?  If it
doesn't work with the linker (or really: isn't expected to
work), should it be warned about when "ar" works on it?

brgds, H-P