This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: [PATCH] Support -z combreloc in binutils
- To: Andreas Jaeger <aj at suse dot de>
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] Support -z combreloc in binutils
- From: Jakub Jelinek <jakub at redhat dot com>
- Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 09:11:54 +0200
- Cc: binutils at sources dot redhat dot com, drepper at redhat dot com
- References: <20010815173030.K510@sunsite.ms.mff.cuni.cz> <email@example.com>
- Reply-To: Jakub Jelinek <jakub at redhat dot com>
On Thu, Aug 16, 2001 at 08:56:16AM +0200, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
> Shouldn't combreloc be the default - at least on glibc platforms?
> After changing the dynamic linker to cache the last value used for
> relocation, this option would speed up relocations at system start up.
Sure, it should. That's why I added -z nocombreloc which Solaris ld doesn't
But I'd prefer this tested a lot before making it the default.
E.g. it is unclear how it will work together on mips with its own .rel.dyn
handling. I think it should and perhaps the mips special cases could go away
(with the exception of adding a R_MIPS_NONE reloc first), but it needs some
mips hacker to test it out...
(note that unlike this -z combreloc, mips .rel.dyn is sorted strictly by
increasing ELF_R_SYM, which is IMHO a bad decision because of locality).