Re: Why does mips define elf_backend_sign_extend_vma to true?

On Wed, Aug 08, 2001 at 08:03:06AM -0700, H . J . Lu wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 08, 2001 at 10:50:41AM -0400, Andrew Cagney wrote:
> >
> > There is an old saying K.I.S.S.
> >
> > GDB was, not so recently changed to apply the rule that the MIPS target,
> > always, no matter what, sign extens 32 bit addresses.
> >
> > It had the pleasant side effect of fixing numerous bugs and flushing out
> > too much bogus code.  What your proposing is a step back into the dark
> > ages of MIPS programming.
>

> Please try
>
> 1. Find a decent compiler for Linux/mips.
> 2. Check out the Linux mips kernel from oss.sgi.com.
> 3. Compile the kernel with -g.
> 4. Compile Linux/mips gdb with 64bit BFD.
> 5. Do

drow@nevyn:~% /opt/src/gdb/obj-cross/gdb/gdb
/opt/mvista/mips/linux13/vmlinux
GNU gdb 2001-07-26-cvs (MI_OUT)
This GDB was configured as "--host=i686-pc-linux-gnu
--target=mipsel-hardhat-linux"...
(gdb) list printk
247     asmlinkage long sys_syslog(int type, char * buf, int len)
248     {
249             if ((type != 3) && !capable(CAP_SYS_ADMIN))
250                     return -EPERM;
251             return do_syslog(type, buf, len);
252     }
253
254     asmlinkage int printk(const char *fmt, ...)
255     {
256             va_list args;

I've already asked you in this thread, what version of tools and what
debug format are you using?  Is it gcc3.0 with all your patches and
your Linux binutils?

Using more mainstream tools, the problem does not seem to exist.