Re: linkonce sections, DWARF2 EH, and the ppc failures

On 20 Jun 2001, Geoff Keating wrote:

> Yes, but in this case it has to be identical down to the opcode level
> for proper unwinding.  Are we going to require that C++ libraries be
> compiled with the same optimisation options as the programs that use them?

 Certainly not.

> Yes, I know how GCC's templates work under ELF.  However, GCC will
> never output an explicit reference to a section symbol.  To refer to
> the data in the linkonce section it puts a globally-visible symbol at
> the start of the linkonce section and refers to that instead.  This
> will still work because all linkonce sections with the same name will
> define the symbol.

 Sorry for the confusion and thanks for refreshing my mind.  Of course,
the globally-visible symbol is what matters from the code's point of view.
The corresponding section symbol is normally out of the program's interest
and is unreferenced.