RE: GAS 2.11.1 doesn't work for sh-hitachi-coff

> > dwarf2_directive_file gets called
>
> Oh dear - then gcc really is generating DWARF2 line number
> information.  This should only happen if DWARF2_ASM_LINE_DEBUG_INFO is
> defined, and according to the latest CVS sources that is only defined
> in gcc/config/sh/elf.h.  I assume that this header is not included in
> your sh-coff configuration (but you could check the Makefile in your
> gcc build directory to make sure), so maybe it is defined in another
> header that you are including.  Can you check ?

No time to dig into, sorry. (I'll leave on vacations really soon now ...)

> Just supressing the support for .file and .loc in gas/config/tc-sh.c
> will not work, since they will turn up as unrecognised pseudo ops.  We
> really need to find out why they are being generated by gcc for a COFF
> based configuration.

Why is .file in COFF illegal and why did gas 2.10.1 accept it ?

obj-coff.c has

void
c_dot_file_symbol (filename)
     char *filename;
{
  symbolS *symbolP;

  symbolP = symbol_new (".file",
			SEG_DEBUG,
			0,
			&zero_address_frag);

I'll try and block out the two lines in tc-sh.c

Hartmut