Re: [RFA] Make LIB_PATH configurable

On Wed, Apr 25, 2001 at 10:32:36PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 25, 2001 at 04:58:01PM -0400, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> >
> >What I've been doing is just this:
> >
> >../configure --args
> >make MAKE="make LIB_PATH=/lib/dir/1:/lib/dir/2"
>
> Um, yeah, I could do that.  Or something like that.  It would have to be
> something like:
>
> LIB_PATH=/lib/dir/1:/lib/dir2 make
>
> though.  This is what the README sort of suggests but it is certainly
> not in the spirit of GNU configury.  I don't want to have to tell
> anyone who configures a cross compiler for cygwin to do this.  That
> is what configure is for.

LIB_PATH=foo make will not work.  LIB_PATH gets overridden in the
recursive make call if you do it that way.  That's why I had to set
$(MAKE) instead.  This was just to avoid slapping Yet Another local
patch on binutils...

> >And that seems to work, but is not elegant.  While you're at it, could
> >you make this overrideable by a --with option?  Please?
>
> That's possible, if my patch is incorporated, but it is outside of the
> scope if what I'm trying to do.
>
> Wait.  I'm confused.  First you were telling me to use environment
> variables then you were asking for a --with option.  I assume that your
> request for a --with option means that you think that adding LIB_PATH
> control to configure.in is desirable?

Yes, definitely.  I'm only using the environment variables because I
didn't want another patch to binutils floating around and didn't have
time to solve the problem properly when I first did it.

To insert my two cents for a configure option: when cross-compiling,
you don't necessarily have complete control over where all the
libraries are.  This happens, for instance, when some of your libraries
are kept on an NFS mount separately from the toolchain, and some are
local.  I actually make use of this every day.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz                           Debian GNU/Linux Developer
Monta Vista Software                              Debian Security Team