Re: [RFA] Make LIB_PATH configurable

On Thu, Apr 26, 2001 at 10:44:16AM -0700, H . J . Lu wrote:
>This approach seems odd to me. I have been doing cross-compiling for
>a long time. I have found Ian's approach works much better. When I
>install for cross-compiling, I do
>
># make install DESTDIR=/var/tmp/foo
>
>Then I copy things from /var/tmp/foo to the right places for cross
>compiling. In many cases, you really don't want to mimic the native
>directory structure for cross compiling.

I believe that Cygwin is a special case which has special needs.  When
you are creating a cross-toolchain for Windows, Cygwin is often part of
the build tree.  It installs files in .../lib and ../lib/w32api when you
type "make install" at the top level.  There is no need to copy anything
like you would if you were cross-building for Solaris or HP/UX, or
whatever.

Obviously we don't have the sources for Solaris or HP/UX so we have to
go to the effort of copying include files and libraries from a "cygwin
system" to your cross environment.  The Cygwin libraries and include
files are installed automatically.

As mentioned in my response to Ian, the reason for the separation of the
two directories is to better accomodate the 'gcc -mno-cygwin' option.

Please understand, that I am not proposing this because I lack the
understanding of how to use environment variables or because I don't
know how to set variables on the make command line.

I'm trying to allow 'ld' to do the right thing when building a
cross-linker for cygwin.  I admit that the reason for this is primarily
selfish.  I don't want to have to answer the same questions over and
over again when someone is trying to build a Windows DLL on UNIX.

I could modify the makefile which installs in ../lib/w32api so that it
just installs in .../lib in a cross-environment.  That would mean that I
would potentially lose some functionality (or at least some error
reporting) when using -mno-cygwin in this environment, however.  But,
with the way the responses are going here, I can see that this will
probably be what I will ultimately do.

cgf