Re: [RFA] Make LIB_PATH configurable

On Thu, Apr 26, 2001 at 11:09:11AM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 25, 2001 at 11:31:42PM -0700, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> >Christopher Faylor <cgf@redhat.com> writes:
> >
> >> I did set NATIVE_LIB_DIRS in ld/configure.host:
> >>
> >>         * configure.host (*cygwin): Add /usr/lib/w32api to NATIVE_LIB_DIRS.
> >>
> >> It doesn't seem to affect a cross-built ld.  I just tried this again to
> >> make sure.  Just setting NATIVE_LIB_DIRS only seems to affect the
> >> behavior when creating an ld where host == target.
> >
> >Well, that's true.  NATIVE_LIB_DIRS only works for a native
> >configuration.
> >
> >I don't understand why you need to do this in a cross-configuration.
> >In a cross-configuration you're in complete control of where the
> >libraries are installed.  Why not install all the libraries in the lib
> >directory?
>
> Because the makefile which installs the .a files puts them in a
> subdirectory.  I could, of course, attempt to detect when this is happening
> in a cross-build environment but that seems sort of pointless.  Why
> not have the cross build mimic the native directory structure if
> possible?

This approach seems odd to me. I have been doing cross-compiling for
a long time. I have found Ian's approach works much better. When I
install for cross-compiling, I do

# make install DESTDIR=/var/tmp/foo

Then I copy things from /var/tmp/foo to the right places for cross
compiling. In many cases, you really don't want to mimic the native
directory structure for cross compiling.

H.J.