Re: GNU Stabs problems

Hi Girish,

[Re: compiling with -fomit-frame-pointer for the ARM]

> It does work with this option.. the conversion also works.
> However, will the libraries still link properly

Yes - you can link code compiled to use the frame pointer with code
compiled not to use and have no problems,

> for I believe the libraries are not built for omitting the frame
> pointer

Correct.

> and will this cause any problems between the object
> files which I link and the libraries I provide

Nope - but if you want to debug through the library code you will
encounter the same problems that you had with user code compiled
without omitting the frame pointer.

You can force the libraries to be (re)built with -fomit-frame-pointer
by defining a variable called TCFLAFS in the relevant t-* file.  For
example if you configure with --target=arm-coff then the file to edit
is gcc/config/arm/t-arm-coff.  (See gcc/config.gcc for a mapping
between configure targets and t-* files).  Add a line like this:

  TCFLAGS = -fomit-frame-pointer

Then clean and rebuild your libraries, and you should be set.
[make clean-gcc clean-target-newlib all-gcc all-target-newlib]