Re: s

>>>>> "Jakub" == Jakub Jelinek <jakub@redhat.com> writes:
Jakub> Just a follow-up of the SHF_MERGE patch, I'm wondering whether
Jakub> .ident directive in obj-elf.c shouldn't be directed into
Jakub> .comment.strtab (SHF_MERGE|SHF_STRINGS, sh_entsize 1) section
Jakub> which would be merged into .comment section on final link.
Jakub> .ident is usually either used for GCC version strings, or for
Jakub> claiming copyright, but in both cases I think nobody relies on
Jakub> the same string beeing present in .comment section 250 times,
Jakub> just one copy would suffice.  E.g. my glibc's .comment section
Jakub> is almost 55KB filled just with multitudes of identical
Jakub> strings.

I agree that it is unlikely that anybody relies on the same string
being stored multiple times in the .comment section.  However, I think
it is traditional behavior.  On svr4 systems, I used to use the mcs
(manipulate comment section) utility's -c option to remove duplicate
records.

        --jtc

--
J.T. Conklin