Re: Profiling forked processes

>>>>> "Steve" == Steve Gonczi <Steve.Gonczi@networkengines.com> writes:
Steve> I see support for the PROFDIR (GPROFDIR?) environmental
Steve> variable to afford a way of dealing with this in some versions
Steve> of gprof, at least on some OS-es.

Steve> -How can I determine if the current, mainline gprof in binutils
Steve> 2.10.1 has support for this? (Perhaps this feature is
Steve> proprietary to some UNIX-es such as HP-UX, Compaq true64, and
Steve> NetBSD...)

PROFDIR (or an equivalent mechanism) will be implemented as part of
the C library, so a binutils gprof won't be able to help you out there.

However, since BSDI and NetBSD share a common heritage, it might be
possible for you to take src/lib/libc/gmon/gmon.c from NetBSD's libc,
compile it on BSDI, and link it into your application.

        --jtc

--
J.T. Conklin
RedBack Networks