Re: bug in /usr/bin/strings

Hi Laszlo,

> Yes, it was a WIN32 exe file, renamed to exx because it contained a
> virus.

Ahh!

> I think it is a common usage to run strings on binaries. It
> shouldn't abort or even issue a warning on any kind of binary file.

It should not abort yes, but if it does not understand the binary it
should say so, it should not just remain silent.

> I think  H.J has not fixed the bug yet, since he thanked for the
> testcase and mailed me a quick patch to not abort but issue a
> warning.

Actually H.J.'s patch is a good fix.  We are just currently debating
what ought to happen if an object file containing these unrecognised
flags is ever given as input to the linker.