Re: Duplicated debug information in linked images

John Haller <jhaller@lucent.com> writes:

> I have noticed duplicated debug information in linked images.
> This causes a large bloat in the size of the object, and makes
> starting debuggers longer.

> As you can see, the typedefs appear twice in the combined object module
> symbol table.  Does the current version of gld have any support
> for compressing these debugging symbols?

You neglected to mention what type of debugging information you are
using, or even what type of system you are using.

The linker is able to eliminate most duplicate COFF debugging
information and almost all duplicate stabs debugging information.  It
has not support for eliminating duplicate DWARF debugging information,
although I think that would be a very good idea.

Ian