Re: A patch for default version and archive

Ian Lance Taylor <ian@zembu.com> writes:

> What I am saying is that if we did not have @ symbols, we could set
> symbol versions only in the linker version script.  My understanding
> is that that is how it works on Solaris.  Solaris does not have @
> symbols.

This is because they don't support multiple versions of a function in
the same binary.  Just think, who would you have two versions for a
function foo?  They are both named foo (cannot really be) or they both
would have different names (in which case the version script would
have to make the association between the alternative name and the
version).  If we get rid of something then it is the versioning
script.  This is the one piece which is not necessary anymore.

> Well, they can if the version script is used to set symbol versions.
> My understanding is that the @ symbols are there to make life simpler
> for library maintainers,

No, they are necessary to differentiate the versions.

> Where is this documentation?

I posted it to various places on various occasions.  Once more it's
now available at http://www.cygnus.com/~drepper/symbol-versioning.