need help with untyped core dumps and multi-arch

We've been using a core dump format I came up with (it is similar
to the 4.4BSD core dump format, but has extra info in the headers
that identify the processor type and byte-order).

Now that the powerpc-port is multi-arched, I get a failure in set_
gdbarch_from_file(), as gdbarch_update_p() is not able to set the
architecture from the core dump file.  The problem is bfd_get_arch_
info() returns bfd_arch_unknown.

My bfd core dump implementation is written very much like the cisco
implementation, which as far as I can tell does nothing to handle
this.  Fortunately, unlike Cisco, I can extract the processor type
from the core dump format.  I see there is a bfd_set_arch_info()
function, but there does not appear to be anything that actually
uses it, so I'm not sure that's how I should be approaching this.

Any clues would be appreciated,

        --jtc

--
J.T. Conklin