Re: Patch: Zero out the allocated dynamic content space.

On Fri, 18 Aug 2000, H . J . Lu wrote:

> "unrecognised: 84" is caused by bfd_alloc, which leaves s->contents
> uninitialized in certain cases. Most of the ELF targets use bfd_zalloc
> instead of bfd_alloc for s->contents. I think all ELF targets should
> use bfd_zalloc. At least, it fixes Linux/ia32:

I just did exactly the same thing a few hours ago for elf32-hppa.c
(sourceware doesn't yet have the shared lib support I was fixing.)

Note that zeroing the memory isn't the best solution.  Ideally, you'd like
to have finish_dynamic_symbol reclaim the reloc space, which should be
possible for cases where a reloc is no longer needed due to symbol
versioning tweaks.  In the hppa case, it was relocs for stubs that were
causing the problem, and there's no sane way to figure a stub (and it's
reloc) isn't needed until after the section sizes have been fixed.

Regards, Alan Modra
--
Linuxcare.  Support for the Revolution.