Re: gas/config/tc-sparc.c broken

> Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2000 06:07:07 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Kazu Hirata <kazu@hxi.com>
>
> Hi,
>
> As far as formatting fixes, would a comparison of disassembly output
> combined with visual inspection count as testing?  I thought about
> comparing the object code side, but that's too weak, I guess.

To really test the binutils, the best way, if you have hardware or a
simulator available, is to make a combined build tree, by a sequence
of commands like

SRCDIR=$HOME/checkout
CVSROOT_BIN=':pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.cygnus.com:/cvs/src'
CVSROOT_GCC=':pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.cygnus.com:/cvs/gcc'

# the order here is important, the GCC files are the master copy.
cd $SRCDIR/cvs/src || exit 1
cvs -Q -d $CVSROOT_GCC co egcs-full || exit 1
find . -print | cpio -pdlm $SRCDIR/combined || exit 1
cd $SRCDIR/cvs/egcs || exit 1
find . -print | cpio -pdlmu $SRCDIR/combined || exit 1
cvs -Q -d $CVSROOT_BIN co binutils gdb newlib dejagnu || exit 1
cd $SRCDIR/combined || exit 1

then do configure, make, and then

make check-gas
make check-ld
make check-binutils
make check-gcc
make check-gdb

and check that the testresults haven't changed.

Sometime soon we hope to merge the two repositories so you can just
check everything out together.

--
- Geoffrey Keating <geoffk@cygnus.com>