gprof copyright status ?

I'm currently looking at binutils 2.10, in order to update our aging OpenBSD
implementation.

gprof caught my fancy.

This program used to be under the BSD licence, and it's been integrated with
binutils.

Puzzlement sets in:
* no COPYING license file in the gprof directory, contrary to most of the
other directories in the binutils distribution.
* files that used to exist still bear the BSD license, so I would assume
they're still under the BSD license.
* new files don't bear any copyright information whatsoever, for the most
part.
* there is one LGPL mention on one file.

This looks thoroughly unclear to me.

So far, my stance would be that BSD license files are still fair to use as
is, and that I could import them into the OpenBSD tree without getting it
encumbered with the GPL license.

The files without a copyright are a direr problem.
--
	Marc Espie