Re: ELF st_other

On Wed, 12 Jul 2000, Nick Clifton wrote:

> Hi Alan,
>
> :   I'm about to commit this.  I was poking around here toying with the idea
> : of using a bit in st_other during final link to flag local syms that have
> : dynamic relocs against them.  The idea is to save a hash lookup on all
> : relocs against local syms.  See bfd/elf-hppa.h:elf_hppa_relocate_section.
> : Comments?
>
> I assume that you mean that the use of this bit will be temporary, ie
> only for the duration of the final link.  So you do not need
> "official" space in the st_other field, just a free bit which you can
> use for a short while ?

Yes, that was the idea.  No need for official space, but admittedly there
would be a problem if all the 8 bits became officially used.  Like I said,
I was just toying with ideas.  There are a number of other possibilities
available.  eg. Add another field to struct elf_obj_tdata, used in much
the same manner as local_got.

Alan
--
Linuxcare.  Support for the Revolution.