How do i get a working AVR-GCC ?

Hi all,

I've been trying to build avr-gcc on a mandrake-7.0 system.

I've used the instructions at:

   http://pm.cse.rmit.edu.au/mapp/uTools/index.html

which lists these files:

  gcc-core-2.95.2.tar.gz
  gcc-core-2.95.2-avr-patch-1.1.gz
  Build instructions: BUILD.avr-gcc

  binutils-2.9.5.0.13.tar.bz2
  AVR specific patch:
  binutils-2.9.5.0.13-avr-patch-1.1.gz

  Libraries: avr-libc

I followed the instructions (which also mention newlib is being
worked on) to install avr-libc. It says to run make in the
avr-libc/src directory. I did that, and the makefile runs
/usr/local/bin/avr-as on something like crt1.S, but then stops
by reporting an error of 'unknown opcode'. I traced this to a
macro that expands to an lpm type instruction, but could not
find why it reports the error.

Is there a more foolproof way of getting a working avr-gcc?

Is there much involved in setting up a cvs download of the
latest version?

*   Russell Shaw, B.Eng, M.Eng(Research)  *
*      email: russell@webaxs.net          *
*      Australia                          *