Re: maintainer mode

Nick Clifton wrote:

> Hi Philipp,
>
> : while testing the 2.10 branch I also tested enabling maintainer mode and of
> : cause all hell broke loose because I was missing the necessary tools. I'll
> : investigate that issue a bit more, as I think we don't really need all those
> : special versions. At least for the NLS stuff it looks like the only thing
> : that's really needed is the cygettext.m4 for aclocal, as this contains the
> : definition of CY_GNU_GETTEXT.
> :
> : Until that stuff's sorted out, I think it would make much sense to place a
> : short readme in the top dir to tell those that dare what's needed. Here's my
> : suggestion:
> :
> : --- /dev/null Fri Jun  2 10:53:43 2000
> : +++ README-maintainer-mode    Fri Jun  2 22:18:38 2000
> : @@ -0,0 +1,6 @@
> : +
> : +                Notes on enabling maintainer mode
> : +
> : +Note that if you configure with --enable-maintainer-mode, you will need
> : +special versions of automake, autoconf, libtool and gettext. You will
> : +find the sources for these in ftp://sourceware.cygnus.com/pub/binutils.
>
> Well this seems like a good idea to me.  Please check it in.

(That file won't be popular for djgpp, why not add it to the build
instructions?)

Anyway, have BFD addressed the following:

--

                Known problems in GDB 5.0
                =========================

[...]

The BFD directory requires bug-fixed AUTOMAKE et.al.

AUTOMAKE 1.4 incorrectly set the TEXINPUTS environment variable.  It
contained the full path to texinfo.tex when it should have only
contained the directory.  The bug has been fixed in the current
AUTOMAKE sources.  Automake snapshots can be found in:
        ftp://sourceware.cygnus.com/pub/gdb/snapshots
and     ftp://sourceware.cygnus.com/pub/binutils

--

Its from GDB's TODO file.  GDB's automake is a patched version of BFD's
automake snapshot....

	Andrew