Re: A patch for configure

   Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 16:14:27 -0700
   From: "H . J . Lu" <hjl@lucon.org>

   On Thu, May 18, 2000 at 03:54:04PM -0700, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
   >    It checks
   >
   >    [ x${gcc_version} != x -a ! -d ${prefix}/lib/gcc-lib/${target_alias}/${gcc_version} ]
   >
   >    If you don't have the gcc source in your souce tree directory, it
   >    shouldn't do anything. If it does, it is a bug. If you can show me
   >    how to reproduce it, I will fix it.
   >
   > I do have gcc in my source tree.  I'm building an entire toolchain.
   > I'm just not installing it.  This works fine with the appropriate -B
   > options.

   It won't work if you don't use newlib and have those .o, so, .a and .h
   files installed under ${prefix}/${target_alias}. How about I also
   check if newlib doesn't exist?

Whether you use newlib or not just means additional -B options.  This
is a red herring.

   >    > What problem are you trying to solve?  I can only guess that you are
   >    > trying to solve the problem of an uninstalled gcc trying to find an
   >    > installed binutils.  That problem relates to gcc, not to the
   >    > binutils.  Why are you trying to fix it in the binutils?
   >
   >    Because they may share the same configure.
   >
   > But if I am right about the problem you are trying to solve, why not
   > solve it in gcc/configure.in?

   How do I do that? You still have to create the gcc directory if
   you don't use newlib.

No, you don't.

Please tell me what problem you are trying to solve.  Don't use my
words.  Tell me in your own words.

Ian