Re: problem with "type and size of dynamic symbol `foo' are not defined"

On Tue, May 16, 2000 at 12:00:14PM -0700, David O'Brien wrote:
> On the Alpha with the Binutils HEAD branch I get the below.  I don't for
> our 2.9.1 Binutils ...

Because 2.9.1 didn't have the warning, added here:

Wed Dec  2 00:58:37 1998  Ian Lance Taylor  <ian@cygnus.com>

        * elflink.h (elf_adjust_dynamic_symbol): Warn on an attempt to
        link against a dynamic symbol with no type or size.

>     /usr/libexec/elf/ld: warning: type and size of dynamic symbol
>         `sys_errlist' are not defined
>
> The definitions from /usr/include/stdio.h are:
[...]
>     extern __const char *__const sys_errlist[];

It's not the declaration in stdio.h that should be at issue, but
the definition in libc sources.  Are those by chance defined in
assembly files?  I'm betting they are, in which case you should
do just as the warning says -- set the type and size of the symbols.

BTW, nothing bad will happen because of the warning, since alpha
does not use COPY relocs, unlike x86 or most other ELF formats.

r~