Re: GAS copyright update

On Thu, May 04, 2000 at 07:44:33PM +0100, Philip Blundell wrote:
> We can certainly discuss it.  If you can convince me that backporting
> the IA-64 parts would not destabilise any other areas of code then we
> could perhaps consider it for some subsequent release on the 2.10
> branch.

Thank you.

> Can't you use a different source base for different architectures?

Unfortunately not easily as it complicates our build procedure.

> This sort of situation will always happen - wherever you draw the
> cut-off point for a release, there are going to be some features left
> out.

Very true.  Typically the BSD philosophy is to only use released versions
of toolchain bits.  Sacrificing features for tested stability.

> If you felt that your life would be made noticeably and needlessly more
> miserable by not having IA-64 in 2.10 the time to speak out was back in
> March when the release branch was being created, not now when we are
> trying to put the finishing touches to the release.

I sincerely apologize for that.  I just realized that there was a 2.10
branch and a release was nearing.  I queried the list about any upcoming
releases back in January and was told by Ian there were no plans.  I have
only been mandated to upgrade the FreeBSD toolchain w/in the past month.

--
-- David    (obrien@NUXI.com)