preparing for binutils 2.10

Having kicked the idea around with Nick and Ian I've volunteered to
coordinate a new release of binutils.

As you all know, the 2.9.1 release was a long time ago and there have been a
large number of changes in the meantime.  So, I intend to concentrate only on
fixing the important bugs in the current sources before making the release,
rather than waiting for the large backlog of patches to be cleared.  We can
always make a subsequent release to incorporate any outstanding patches.

I'm tentatively proposing to make the release in roughly six weeks' time, at
the end of April.

Please build the current sources from CVS on your favourite platforms, run the
testsuite, and send me the results.  If you can try building some real
software (the larger the better) with the tools as well, that would be a bonus.
Also, if you're aware of severe bugs or regressions since 2.9.1 that should be
fixed before a new release, please speak up now.

Thanks

p.