Re: A proposed patch for undefined_symbol ()

On Wed, Mar 01, 2000 at 01:23:06PM -0700, Koundinya K wrote:
> Hi hjl,
>     Normally when -Bsymbolic is uses when building a shared object (library) ,  the
> linker should bind  references to global symbols to their definitions  within the
> object, if defintions are available. Normally, since references  to  global
> symbols  within  shared objects are not bound until run time, even  if
> definitions  are  available,  so that definitions of the same symbol in an
> executable or  other  shared  objects  can
> override  the  object's  own definition. The linker should issue warnings for

That is not true for -Bsymbolic. If a definition for a global symbol
is available in DSO, it will be used in DSO no matter what. It is what
-Bsymbolic is used for.

> undefined symbols unless there is an option in the Linker to force a fatal error if
> any undefined symbols remain  at

My patch doesn't change the undefined symbol warning with -Bsymbolic
when building DSO. What it does is not to abort if undefined symbol
is ok.

>  the end of the link. So I feel  we need to have a separate option in the Linker to
> address this.

We have --noinhibit-exec to ignore all errors. But I don't
think it is appropriate for -Bsymbolic.

H.J.