Re: SuperH PIC Support

   Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 10:18:59 +0900
   From: NIIBE Yutaka <gniibe@chroot.org>

   32-bit version is simple and straightforward, while 16-bit version is
   somewhat tricky.  My personal opinion is 16-bit version is better as
   "smaller is better".

   But 16-bit version has the 64K limit for GOT size and the number of
   entries for relocation table.

   So, here is my question.  Is the 64K limit resonable?

Similar issues arise on several processors.  The conventional answer
is to support both.  -fpic generates code that only works if the GOT
size is less than 64K (or whatever, but 64K is common).  -fPIC
generates code which always works.  See the gcc documentation.

This permits users to decide whether they want the simpler, more
efficient, limited solution, or the complicated, less efficient,
unlimited solution.

Ian