Re: Patch to readelf...

   Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 13:26:19 -0400
   From: scottb <scottb@netwinder.org>

   If I remove the arm_* functions, is the remaining code still too Linux
   specific?  I'm not familiar enough with other architechures to know if
   the information in the notes is common enough for general use.

   If people think it is worth pursuing, I'll happily tidy up the patch for
   further review.

I think it would be nice if readelf could dump information from core
files.

Ideally it would be done in a manner which would work when cross
compiling.  That means that you can not use header files like
<sys/procfs.h> which are not present on every system.  It means that
you must define the structures yourself.  It means that you must swap
the data in case the host and target have a different endianness.

In practice, of course, core files are not that common when
cross-compiling.  Therefore, I think it would be acceptable to only
support core file dumping on a native system.  This means configury
work to only compile code on the appropriate system.

Ian