Re: Another script for building binutils

> Last test were done with binutils snapshots (990727 appears to be
> bad: broken debug info, so I'll perhaps return to 990710 which I
> used for some time).

Hi Andris,
I'm also sending this to binutils so perhaps we can get some help. I
did some testing and found that compiling with -g (for COFF
debugging) doesn't work properly while using -gstabs+ will work with
my sample C program.

How I tested:
I compiled a small C program to an .s file using 'gcc -gstabs+ -S
main.c'. I then used the as.exe from Dec '98 to generate a .o file and an
as.exe from July 26th to do the same but with a different filename. I
was able to step through the generated executables derived from both
.o files with rhgdb.exe.

I then generated another .s file using 'gcc -g -S main.c' and repeated
the generation of the two .o files. I could debug the main.exe derived
from the Dec. '98 as.exe generated .o file. However, I could only step
one line into the main.exe derived from the Jul. 26th generated .o file.

Andris, is this something like what you found?

If this is something that only happened very recently, the cause should
be easily traceable.

BTW, I made sure to disable long section support and my alignment
patch #2 before testing.

Mark
---
Mark Elbrecht, snowball3@bigfoot.com