Re: DWARF2 vs. 64-bit MIPS

   Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 18:49:29 -0700
   From: Richard Henderson <rth@cygnus.com>

   Jason didn't follow them.  It does bloat the size of the debug info,
   and it does require you write enough code for 4G of debug info.
   There should be a way to tell the difference (and switch between the
   two, supposing you _do_ write such big programs!), but I don't know
   what off-hand.

I would normally expect to get such information from sh_info, sh_link,
or sh_entsize.

However, I don't know if SGI thought ahead enough to make any of those
values different for the arguably non-standard debugging information
generated by their tools.  It won't do us much good to implement some
way to detect this case if it doesn't work for SGI generated objects.

Of course, we can fall back on simple if fallible heuristics like ``if
the length appears to be zero, we probably have an eight byte
length.''  On a little endian system, check whether the version number
is valid, and, if not, see if we can make it valid by assuming an
eight byte length.

Ian