Re: Patches for IRIX6 N32-ABI ld

    Ian> as far as I am concerned long term maintainability is the
    Ian> single most important characteristic of all code changes.  I
    Ian> will pick maintainability over features every time.

You're preaching to the choir. :-) I'm always adamant about this point
myself when in comes to C++ changes in EGCS.

    Ian> I don't really care.  But I agree with Richard: I don't want
    Ian> to see code that will silently fail if a new value is added
    Ian> to the start of an enum.

The thing we're disagreeing about is the unmainaintainability of the
proposed change.  I'm very used to the idiom in question (we use it
*lots* in GCC; functions return 0 to indicate falsity, and various
integers to indicate differents kinds of truth, which some callers
care about and some don't.)  So, you should be arguing with me about
the maintainability of this idiom, not telling me to prize
maintainability! :-) :-)

But, hey, reasonable people can agree to disagree.

I'll make the change you want and put it in.