Re: m88k-motorola-sysv4 revival port

   Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 12:30:51 -0500
   From: Brian Ford <ford@vss.fsi.com>

   I am interested in reviving or porting the m88k-motorola-sysv4 port of the
   binutils.  I see that m88k-motorola-sysv3 is supported.  But, it used coff
   format binaries.  In sysv4, Motorola changed to elf format.

   Can anyone give my any pointers on what needs to be done or where to start
   looking?  Is there any documentation on porting binutils?

What little documentation there is can be found in bfd/doc/bfdint.texi
and gas/doc/internals.texi.

The first step is to fill in the information in bfd/elf32-m88k.c.
Make it look more like, for example, elf32-i386.c or elf32-sparc.c.

The second step is to make gas/config/tc-m88k.c work with
BFD_ASSEMBLER defined, and to fix up the relocation handling.

Then you should just need a few configure file tweaks, and you'll be
done.

Ian