m88k-motorola-sysv4 revival port

I am interested in reviving or porting the m88k-motorola-sysv4 port of the
binutils.  I see that m88k-motorola-sysv3 is supported.  But, it used coff
format binaries.  In sysv4, Motorola changed to elf format.

Can anyone give my any pointers on what needs to be done or where to start
looking?  Is there any documentation on porting binutils?

--
Brian Ford
Software Engineer