Re: DWARF info on i386-ELF Linux -- need pointers

   From: "Ben Combee" <bcombee@metrowerks.com>
   Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 17:54:56 -0500

   I'm trying to produce DWARF debugging information suitable for use with gdb
   and the binutils on i386 ELF-based Linux.  I've read the DWARF 1.1
   specification and looked at the source code for BFD, but I cannot figure out
   the right mapping of x86 registers to DWARF register numbers.  Can anyone
   here provide me a pointer as to where to look?  I'm especially interested in
   the floating point/MMX registers, as EAX-EBP have fairly obvious encodings
   based on the opcode format.

There are two natural places to look: gcc and gdb.  gcc has to
generate the register mappings, and gdb has to interpret them.  The
binutils don't care.

In gcc, see DBX_REGISTER_NUMBER in gcc/config/i386/sysv4.h.

In gdb, I think the right place is gdb/config/i386/tm-i386.h.

However, I believe that in neither place will you find any register
number assignments for the MMX registers.  I don't think gcc ever
generates code that uses the MMX registers, so it does not need to
define any debugging information for them.

Ian