DWARF info on i386-ELF Linux -- need pointers

I'm trying to produce DWARF debugging information suitable for use with gdb
and the binutils on i386 ELF-based Linux.  I've read the DWARF 1.1
specification and looked at the source code for BFD, but I cannot figure out
the right mapping of x86 registers to DWARF register numbers.  Can anyone
here provide me a pointer as to where to look?  I'm especially interested in
the floating point/MMX registers, as EAX-EBP have fairly obvious encodings
based on the opcode format.

Should I also be checking the EGCS/GCC source code for this info?  If I
should be asking on a different mailing list, please let me know too.

Thanks!
--
Ben Combee, x86/Win32/Novell/Linux CompilerWarrior
http://www.metrowerks.com/