elf e_machine discrepancy

I am trying to build egcs-1.1.2 on a Concurrent PowerMax machine.
This platform is powerpc, big endian, and uses elf.

The native as builds elf headers with e_machine value 11,
which their documentation labels as "IBM RS/6000 and PowerPC".

The binutils I built produce e_machine value EM_POWERPC = 20.
in binutils, include/common.h lists EM_OLD_SPARCV9 as
having value 11.

stage1/xgcc won't link cccp because of this.   From what I
see, it appears I have to get a version of egcs/as/ld/whatever
which will handle the .o files produced by the native tools.
The failing step is trying to link to installed native libraries.

I am using binutils 2.9.1.0.25.  The configuration I am
trying is powerpc-harris-elf.

Config.guess can't recognize this system.  Its closest-looking
known system name is powerpc-harris-powerunix.
(Harris is a predecessor to Concurrent, and PowerUnix
was the name used for a predecessor OS to PowerMax.)
However, configure doesn't recognize powerpc-harris-powerunix
either.

What is the right way to get past this, so I can build egcs on this
system?

Rodney Bates