Re: Where to put per-target global BFD data ?

   Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 03:26:42 -0600
   From: Jeffrey A Law <law@cygnus.com>

     In message <19990620164714.B4699@cygnus.com>you write:
     > >   I am not sure how this can be fixed.  I think using the hash table
     > >   may not be the best way to store global information, because of this
     > >   problem, and that another solution needs to be found.
     >
     > My solution would be to outlaw linking together different formats,
     > and that the output format must match the input format.  Diddling
     > different formats is what objcopy is for.
   I've got no problems with that.  multi-format linking was always an interesting
   idea, but it never worked well and worked even less well when the linker was
   changed to use native relocs instead of bfd relocs.  And I haven't seen that
   multi-format linking has been all that important to the user community.

There are people who use it, though, mainly because they have compiled
objects from somebody for which they do not have the source.  I've
seen probably a dozen bug reports on it over the years.

Ian