elf32-hppa questions

I understand that elf32-hppa has problems, and it usage is deprecated,
and etc, but I have but one question...

Does it work well enough that it should be able to build a Linux kernel?

I understand that a large number of relocations specified by the HP
standard ELF document are not supported. However, compatibility with
HP-generated object files is (obviously) not necessary to build a working
kernel.

All that's really necessary is for binutils to write object files
which it can later read to produce a valid absolute ELF file.
The actual format of the object files isn't important as long as
the BFD can read and write them well enough to produce a correct
final absolute ELF file.

Does binutils for the elf32-hppa work correctly enough to do this?

Toshi