Re: binutils newer than 2.9.1

We are using binutils 2.9.4 for m68k-rtemself (really elf32-m68k). We have not yet
identified any problems with this target. The code was checked out of the CVS
repository two weeks ago.

The only difference I saw between 2.9.1 and .2.9.4 as an end-user is in the linker
scripts. 2.9.4 has new directives which were used extensively in the sample elf
linker scripts. Specifically, SORT, KEEP, and CONSTRUCTORS were introduced. For
elf targets, we elected to stick with 2.9.4 and to use the new linking directives.

I have no experience with 2.9.4 and powerpc, other than building the toolsuite for
powerpc-rtems from the cygwin source. It built! Once my colleague finishes the
port of RTEMS to the MBX860, I intend to try 2.9.4 from the CVS repository, just
to keep all my cross development tools at the same version level. I believe she is
doing all of her work with 2.9.1.

I think that powerpc-rtems, powerpc-eabi and powerpc-linux are all the same in the
sense that they produce elf32-powerpc code. The difference is only in the default
compilation flags and default libraries and startup files. Any bug in binutils
will likely show up for all three targets.

I have no strong opinion about using 2.9.1 or 2.9.4. Neither one has caused us
problems (that we know about).

--
Charles-Antoine Gauthier
Research Officer