Re: binutils newer than 2.9.1

   Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 00:22:14 +0000
   From: Brendan Simon <brendan@dgs.monash.edu.au>

   If I want later versions of binutils (I am unsure of how necessary this is)
   then it would appear that CVS would be the best option and to checkout
   snapshots that are known to be reasonably reliable.  Would you suggest this
   as a wise thing or to just stick with the stock standard 2.9.1 ?  Maybe the
   cygwin sources of binutils might be the best option ?  My main targets of
   interest are powerpc-eabi, powerpc-linux and m68k-???

I don't have a good answer to this question.  binutils 2.9.1 is
certainly better tested than the CVS snapshots.  For GNU/Linux, H.J.'s
snapshot releases are well tested.  For anything else, I guess you
just have to balance newer sources with lack of testing.  I don't know
how to resolve that balance for you.

If you have specific bugs that you want fixed, consider looking
through the CVS sources and picking out the bug fixes.  If you can't
do that, using the CVS sources may be too risky for you, since you may
run into bugs you can't fix.

Ian