Re: binutils newer than 2.9.1

On Tue, 8 Jun 1999, Brendan Simon wrote:

> Mumit Khan wrote:
>
> > To get what I call binutils-2.9.4 in my howto, you can get either get
> > the whole Cygwin source tree [1] (big!), or just get the pieces that
> > form binutils separately [2] that you can combine to re-create the 2.9.4
> > tree.

[...]

> I assume these files have other updates for targets other than
> cygwin32/mingw32.  Is that correct ?
> Is this site likely to be maintained/updated regularly or do you think that I
> am better off using CVS and checking out snapshots that are known to be
> reasonably reliable ?

I'm in no position to judge whether the binutils packaged with Cygwin
works well with targets other than pe-coff or not. I only use this for
the various x86-win32 targets that I use, and use binutils-2.9.1 + patches
that are on the net for other targets (including ppc-eabi).

I do remember that I had some trouble with ppc-eabi when using binutils
2.9.4 (forward labels didn't have the right offset or some such thing),
and ended up using 2.9.1.

If you're supporting many targets, getting it out of CVS is probably the
way to go (don't forget to run the testsuite!).

Regards,
Mumit