Re: [RFC] Adding --skip-mismatch option to ld

On Tue, Jun 08, 1999 at 12:14:52AM +0200, Jakub Jelinek wrote:
> In such a case, what would it do if --no-warn-mismatch is specified?
> Should it stop skipping the libraries and choose the first one in the search
> path, or should it continue skipping incompatible libraries, in which case
> if the user wanted to link against an incompatible library, he'd have to
> specify its full name including path?

My thinking is that the only way to link against an incompatible
library is to include it explicitly instead of by `-l'.

> I don't know much about what are people using --no-warn-mismatch for and
> what tasks are they solving by it, so I cannot come to conclusion about the
> above question easily myself.

The only thing that even remotely comes to mind is a hetrogenous
multi-cpu embedded system thing, wherein you're linking code for
each of the processors into a single rom image.  I have no idea
whether this would actually work or not with just --no-warn-mismatch.

> I'd be very happy if this skipping on mismatch was the default mode of
> operation, just thought it would have lower chance of getting accepted.

I have no problem with it.  I'm interested in hearing Ian's thoughts.

r~